Revolution Square in Samara: history and modernity

Anonim

In the historical part of the city of Samara at the intersection of Kuibyshev and Ventsek streets there is the Revolution Square. This is one of the oldest and most beautiful squares of the city, which has a rich history and is a landmark of Samara. About her and will be discussed in the article.

Image

Titles

The original name of the square is Market. Throughout its history, it was repeatedly renamed - Panskaya, Alekseevskaya, and in the end it became known as the Revolution Square.

History of the Revolution Square in Samara

In the middle of the 18th century there was a lake and a small meadow in this place. However, in 1782 a geometric plan was developed for the development of the city, which included the construction of a market square at this place, which was called Torgovaya or Market Square. The territory began to be built up with wooden trading shops, which formed the Gostiny Dvor. It was convenient to deliver goods from the quays. The territory of the parade ground at that time had a typical market appearance and was buried in the garbage. But in 1851 there was a terrible fire, which destroyed all the shops and buildings here. Trade had to be transferred to Troitskaya, and Trade Square was renamed Panskaya.

Years go by, Samara becomes a gubernia, a dirty square in the city center spoils the look of the city, it is cleared and renamed in honor of the patron saint of the city, Metropolitan Alexy. The new square becomes the decoration and the public center of the city.

Image

Gradually, a unique architectural ensemble is formed on the territory of the square, and it turns into the central city square.

Revolutionary years

During the revolution, the square in Samara became the venue for meetings and mass gatherings, at which Kuybyshev, Galaktionov, Frunze and many others spoke. After the end of the revolution, festive demonstrations of the working people were held on the central square of the city.

Building history

From the middle of the 19th century, the square begins to be built intensively. A two-story hotel was built here (the first stone building in the city). In 1862 the first bookstore in Samara was opened in the building (in Soviet times the building was rebuilt and built up to 5 floors).

In the 60s of the 19th century, a wooden chapel was built on the square, the height of the tower reaching about 17 meters. In the lower tier there was a gatehouse, and on the upper tier there was a 2-meter dial and a clock mechanism. The upper part of the tower-chapel was crowned with a huge bell. The wooden structure was dilapidated, and already in 1875 the bell was moved to the Trinity Church, and the chapel was dismantled.

Image

In 1887 a square was decorated on the square, which was decorated with flowerbeds. At this time, new buildings appeared: the district court, hotels, the governor’s apartment, notary office, several shops and the newspaper’s editorial office.

In 1889, a monument was erected here to Emperor Alexander, at the bottom of which figures were placed emblems that depicted important events that occurred during his reign: the abolition of serfdom, the conquest of the Caucasus, the liberation of Slavic peoples (1878), the conquests in Central Asia. After the revolution, the monument was removed from the square.

In 1918 a monument to the Liberated People was erected here. He was a sculpture of a worker, who had a rifle and a torch in his hands, and an anvil, a hammer and a sickle at his feet. The monument on Revolution Square in Samara stood until 1927, and was replaced by a monument to Lenin V.I. (one of the first monuments to the leader in the country). But the sculpture of the leader turned out to be disproportionate to the pedestal, which is why one gets the visual impression that Lenin does not take his place.

Buildings and constructions

One of the most unique and famous buildings on the square and in the city is the building of the district court. Originally it was a three-story building in which the Kornilov hotel and restaurant was located. Here the regulars were judicial officials and wealthy townspeople. In the revolutionary years, the building was nationalized and inhabited by workers and peasants in need of housing, and later an organization for the protection of cultural and historical monuments was placed here.

Image

Directly to the building adjoined a two-story building with elements of a classic decor, which housed the editorial and printing house of the local newspaper "Samarskie Vesti".

On the contrary, there was an editorial office of the not less popular newspaper "Samarskaya". This building adjoined a tavern and storage facilities. A little later, a printing house was located next to the tavern.

Here was located the building, which housed the office and personal apartments of the governor. In the halls of the provincial residence often arranged exhibitions Samara artists and craftsmen, as well as their fellow artists from other cities.

Thus, from a dirty shopping ground, this place turned into a central city square, where cultural and social life was in full swing. Against the background of Revolution Square in Samara, newlyweds, townspeople and guests of the city are taking pictures and videos, as it is truly an ornament and attraction of the city.

Image

How to get there

The Revolution Square in Samara can be reached in several ways:

  • from the metro station "Alabinskaya" by bus - number 47, 11 and route taxi - 97, 47;
  • from the railway station on the trolley bus - № 16, 6, bus - № 11, 5, 37, 105, 114, route taxi - № 37, 77, 127, 140, 226, 205, 295.

Interesting Articles

Viện sĩ Levashov Nikolai Viktorovich: tiểu sử, gia đình, sách, nguyên nhân cái chết

Làm thế nào để người Ai Cập cổ đại tiếp tục ảnh hưởng đến cuộc sống của chúng ta ngày nay?

Đạo diễn Kravchuk Andrei: tiểu sử và điện ảnh

Bảo tàng Lịch sử Tự nhiên Hoa Kỳ