- Interesting facts about Novgorod
- How old is Novgorod
- How old is Nizhny Novgorod
- The most popular sights of Novgorod
Among the ancient cities of Russia there is one that is rightly called the Great. It was from him that the Russian land began. This is Novgorod. About him there are so many tales and legends. And the first mention refers to the 9th century. The names of the great Russian princes are associated with this city: Rurik, Oleg, Vladimir the Red Sun and Yaroslav the Wise.
How old is Novgorod? What secrets does this Russian city harbor? What interesting things can learn and see the tourists?
Interesting facts about Novgorod
- Our distant ancestors Slavs built it as a fortress, which protected the Russian lands from the raids of nomads and the Tatar-Mongol tribes.
- Later Novgorod became the center of the Russian state. Much attention was paid here to literacy training of all classes, which is confirmed by the numerous finds of historians.
- The first Russian book was written in Novgorod. It was called "Ostrom Gospel".
- In the 11th century, the first school was opened here.
- Russian republic originated in Novgorod. The rulers were elected by popular vote.
How old is Novgorod
There are a lot of old cities in Russia. But there are those without which it is impossible to imagine our country, they are its calling card. Moscow, Saint Petersburg. In one row with these cities you can put and Novgorod. It is no coincidence that they call him the Great. How old is the city of Novgorod?
There are several versions of when it originated. But according to the official, it is believed that Novgorod in 2016 was 1157 years old. This date was celebrated by residents and tourists from around the world who came here.
The program of the celebration included performances by folk groups, mass celebrations, master classes, various trade shows and, of course, fireworks. It was fun, noisy and joyful. Vacationers at the city’s holiday on the question of how old Novgorod was, mostly answered correctly. If someone could not give the right answer, then immediately there were willing to help.
How old is Nizhny Novgorod
Some tourists have the wrong idea about one of the Russian cities. There are two Novgorod. One of them is called Great, and the second - Lower. This city was founded much later than the great brother. In 2016, he was 795 years old. Residents of the city called Nizhny Novgorod. About how old Velikiy Novgorod, mentioned above.
Cities are at the same distance from Moscow. From the middle of the 20th century, Nizhny Novgorod was renamed to Gorky. A few decades later, his historic name was returned to him.
The most popular sights of Novgorod
Among the large number of historical and cultural monuments of the city there are those that I would like to highlight. They are the hallmark of Novgorod. If you have little time to get acquainted with this ancient Russian city, then first of all you need to see the following monuments that can give you an idea of how old Novgorod is.
- Novgorod Kremlin, or, as it is also called, Detinets. The grand structure was created as a guard fortress, which was surrounded by a moat filled with water. Unfortunately, some of the towers of the Kremlin have not survived to this day. Of those that remained, the most interesting is Kokui. Its height is equal to a seven-story house.
- Monument "Millennium of Russia". Its height is more than 15 meters, and its weight is about 100 tons. The grand monument captures more than 120 historical persons.
- St. Sophia Cathedral is one of the oldest temples of Russia. Here is one of the famous icons of the Sign of the Mother of God.
- Faceted Chamber. Along with the Russian craftsmen, Germans also worked on its construction.
- Rurik ancient settlement. Here was the settlement of the ancient Vikings and Kievan princes, starting with Rurik. The guests of the city will be greatly interested in historical reconstructions, which take place several times a year.
- Peryn monastery. Here once worshiped the god Perun.
- Museum of Wooden Architecture "Vitoslavlitsy". In the open air there are huts, churches, farm buildings.
No matter how many years Novgorod has fulfilled, it will always be a place where ancient legends and legends about the Russian land come to life. Here, the air seems to be saturated with history itself.
If you walk through the streets of the city, get acquainted with its sights, chat with hospitable and polite residents, you will definitely understand why Novgorod was the center of all the events taking place in Russia.