- About aircraft fleet
- About artillery weapons
- Command staff
- About the composition
- Military unit 17646
According to the Decree issued by the State Committee of Defense of the Soviet Union, in April 1942, the 6th Leningrad Red Banner Army of Air Defense was created. During the years of the Great Patriotic War, the airmen and anti-aircraft gunners of this formation opposed the fascist German forces on the outskirts of Leningrad. In 1986 it was united with the 76th Red Banner Air Army. 2009 was the year of the reform of the Russian Armed Forces, as a result of which the 1st command of the Air Force and the Air Defense was created. In August 2015, the legendary 6th Army of the Air Force and Air Defense were revived in the Russian Federation. Information about its structure, functions and tasks can be found in the article.
The intention of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation was to improve coordination between military units and the quality of interspecific interaction of aviation units and air defense with the Ground Forces and the fleet, since the Western Military District contains the Northern and Baltic Navy. The territory for the ZVO (Western Military District) became the location for the deployment of all military units of the 6th Army of the Air Force and Air Defense. According to military experts, the new connection is responsible for the airspace of an area of 2 million km. sq. In addition, the formation provides security at the border, a length of over 3, 000 km. Headquarters 6 of the Army Air Force and Air Defense in the city of St. Petersburg.
The 6th Air Force and Air Defense Forces have a heroic story. In the Great Patriotic War, the 6th Separate Army of the Air Defense, the 16th and 76th divisions of the Air Force (Air Army) showed heroism and resilience in battles with the enemy. During the blockade, the personnel carried out the defense of Leningrad. From the first days of the war, Soviet fighters and anti-aircraft gunners opened an account of destroyed enemy aircraft.
To protect the airspace over the city, the fighters used an air ram. Until this time, this combat technique for Wehrmacht pilots was unfamiliar. In 1941, on the Leningrad front, the forces of the Air Defense of the USSR thwarted an attempt by German aviation to destroy ships deployed in the Baltic Fleet. The Soviet military command was tasked to ensure the protection of the Road of Life on the Leningrad front. In 2005, for this feat, the 6th Army of the Air Force and Air Defense were awarded the honorary title “Leningradskaya” by Russian President Vladimir V. Putin. In addition, Belarus and Poland were liberated together with the 76th and 16th air armies by this military formation. The defense of Moscow and Kursk, the forcing of the Dnieper was also carried out with the participation of the 6th Army of the Air Force and Air Defense, which, fighting with the enemy, entered Berlin. In the Great Patriotic War, these military formations destroyed Nazi aircraft, more than 11 thousand units in size, tanks and armored vehicles - more than 5 thousand, artillery and anti-aircraft guns - about 5 thousand, trains - 1.5 thousand, officers and military personnel Wehrmacht - about 230 thousand people.
About aircraft fleet
Today, the 6th Army has the following aircraft:
- Su-34 multifunctional fighter-bombers;
- Su-27 front-line fighters;
- Su-35S multi-role fighters;
- heavy Su-30SM fighter aircraft;
- MiG-31 interceptors;
- Su-24MR reconnaissance aircraft;
- military transport AN;
- Tu-134 passenger aircraft;
- attack helicopters Mi-28N "Night Hunter" and Ka-52 "Alligator";
- Mi-35 multipurpose helicopters;
- military transport helicopters Mi-8MTV.
Mostly fighter airfields dislocation steel Lodeynoye Pole, Besovets and Kilpi Yavr, interceptors - Kotlas, transport and special plane - Pushkin and Lukaschovo, interceptors - Kotlas, bombers - Smuravyevo and Siverskoye, reconnaissance aircraft - Monchegorsk, helicopters - and Pribilof Alakurti.
About artillery weapons
The anti-aircraft missile and radio engineering troops use the following air defense missile systems:
- S-300 "Favorite". This anti-aircraft missile system is designed for an average radius of action.
- S-400 "Triumph". This long-range and medium-range radar systems.
- Self-propelled Buk-M1 anti-aircraft missile systems.
- Self-propelled anti-aircraft missile-gun complexes with ground-based "Pantsir-S1".
In addition, at the disposal of the military of the 6th Army of the Air Force and Air Defense there are various radar stations and other types of equipment.
The command of the 6th Army Air Force and Air Defense was carried out by the following officers with the rank of lieutenant-general of aviation:
- From 1998 to 2000 A.I.Basov.
- From 2004 to 2005 G. A. Torbov.
- From 2005 to 2009 V. G. Sviridov.
- Since 2015, Major General Alexander Duplinsky. Prior to his appointment as commander of the 6th Army of the Air Force and Air Defense, the fifty-three-year-old cadre military officer managed to lead the 1st Leningrad Red Banner Command of the Air Force and Air Defense. Previously, his services were Belarus, the Far East and the Southern Military District in Russia.
6 Army of the Air Force and Air Defense (St. Petersburg) of the Russian Federation has long-range, military transport and army aviation, anti-aircraft, missile and radio engineering troops. With their help, the military formation should perform the following actions:
- Alert the Main Staff, Military District, Fleet, Civil Defense in the event of an enemy air attack.
- To conquer and maintain dominance in the sky.
- Cover troops and strategic facilities.
- Maintain aviation Ground Forces and Navy.
- Defeat objects representing the military-economic potential of the enemy.
- Destroy nuclear-missile, anti-aircraft and air groups and their reserves, as well as enemy air and naval forces.
- Destroy ship groups at any location: sea, ocean, naval bases, ports or any other points of deployment.
- To carry out the landing of military equipment and personnel to the rear of the enemy.
- To transport military equipment and ground forces.
- To conduct strategic, operational and tactical aerial reconnaissance.
- Control the airspace in the border area.
About the composition
In 6, the army of the Air Force and Air Defense was equipped with the following military formations:
- The 105th Guards Mixed Aviation Division of the Red Banner Order of Suvorov. Located in the city of Voronezh.
- The 8th Aviation Division of the Red Banner. This special purpose formation is based in the city of Schelkovo.
- 549th Red Banner Aviation Base. Deployed in St. Petersburg, at the airport Pushkin.
- 15th brigade. Army aviation is located in the city of Island on the Veretie airfield.
- 33rd separate transport mixed aviation regiment (airfield Levashovo).
- The 32nd Air Defense Division in the city of Rzhev.
- The 2nd Red Banner Air Defense Division in the village of Khvoyny.
- 565 center responsible for security. Deployed in Voronezh.
- The 378th air base at the Dvoyovka airfield in the city of Vyazma. Located army aviation.
Military unit 17646
For reconnaissance radar activities, namely the collection and transfer of information about the enemy for the air defense system and air defense is the responsibility of military unit number 17646. The 333rd radio-technical regiment guards the air lines of the state today.
Refers to the 6th Army Air Force and Air Defense. The address of the military unit: Khvoyny village, Krasnoselsky district in the Leningrad region. 2013 was the year of the regiment's rearmament. Today, soldiers have at their disposal high-altitude detectors and radar stations.