- Review of products made in Izhevsk
- How was double-barreled?
- Performance characteristics
- Drilling channels
- What is a “sublot”?
- Device trunks
- What is a flame tube?
- How is a combat platoon and descent in a hunting shotgun?
- When is the disassembly of weapons?
- Ejector model double shotgun IZH-54
- How to turn off the ejector mechanism?
During the Great Patriotic War, a large number of hunting rifles were seized from the population for the needs of the army. Much of them were destroyed. After the war, the country needed a “fur” currency and meat of game animals. The issue of the lack of hunting weapons has become particularly acute. Power went to meet the needs of the people. To ensure the welfare of its people, resumed mass production of various models of shotguns, among which the IL-26 hunting rifle became especially in demand.
Review of products made in Izhevsk
Izhevsk is famous for its weapons factory. Among the models of his guns:
- IL-43. The designs of the mechanisms of these guns were assembled from the remaining pre-war reserve of parts. The model was equipped with brand tubes made of insufficient quality steel. The system IL-43 is highly reliable.
- IL-54. It is a double-barreled gun with triple locking. In the design there is no additional safety platoon on the trigger.
- IL-57. The model was produced in 1957. The product has horizontally paired trunks. The design is identical to IL-54. These models differ in the size of parts. IL-57 is equipped with a thin and streamlined valve box and an aiming bar projecting from the sides of the barrel tubes.
- IL-58. Produced since 1958. It replaced the hunting model IL-57.
- IL-26. The gun was manufactured from 1969 to 1975. Intended for ammunition 12 gauge, which uses smoke and smokeless powder. The model is effective in various types of hunting and is used by both amateur beginners and professionals. Designed shotgun on the model of IL-54. Different model data locking node. This function in the IL-54 Griner performs the bolt. In the new lightweight model, the bolt is replaced with a locking bar, actuated by the head of the locking lever.
- IL-26E. The model of a hunting rifle has found its consumer both in the domestic and foreign markets. 200 thousand units were sold abroad. Unlike IZH-26, the IZH-26E rifle is equipped with a special ejector mechanism that facilitates operation, it is an independent model, and not an improved IZH-54 variation.
How was double-barreled?
Active resumption of the production of fishing guns began with the onset of a peaceful life. One of the relatively cheap models, which was important for the post-war period, the designs of which were distinguished by reliability and manufacturability, was the double-barreled hunting gun IL-26.
After assembling the structure, mandatory production testing took place. In the course of testing, the IL-26 gun was tested using reinforced charges of smokeless powder, capable of developing 900 kg / 1 cm square in a channel with a block of an unassembled model. and 850 kg / 1 cm square. have collected.
- Caliber - 12 mm.
- The length of two trunks - 73 cm.
- The length of the chamber is 7 cm.
- The weight of the shotgun - 3.3 kg.
- The IZH-26 hunting rifle is equipped with chrome-plated barrel channels and chambers.
- The right barrel bore with a choke of 0.5 mm (called “pay”) with an accuracy of hits of 55%.
- The left barrel, the muzzle narrowing of which is 0.1 cm, was called the “full choke”. Its combat accuracy is 65%.
Following the example of the already completed IL-54 system, the masters of the Izhevsk plant changed the diameter of the channel in IL-26. The rifle is equipped with barrels with a diameter of not 18.5 mm, as was the case with the IL-54, but 18.2 mm. This size is considered valid for paper liners. When using metal sleeves, there is a discrepancy in dimensions. The IZH-26 smoothbore rifle is distinguished by good combat when using ammunition in a paper or plastic shell. The use of metal liners leads to a decrease in the accuracy of hits up to 20%. At the same time, there is an increase in recoil during firing. IL-26 - a gun (photo below), in contrast to its counterpart IL-54, which has an elegant form and finish.
To cover the trunks used a very stable varnish, which is commonly called “rusty”. An iridescent “colored kapka” pattern is applied to the block of arms, thanks to which the product acquires a very beautiful appearance. The disadvantage of coverage is its weak stability. This is impossible to correct, even if a solid bakelite lacquer is applied over the “color Kapka”. During operation, the lacquer coating gun quickly erased on clothing.
In the production of barrel canals IZH-26 and pads mild steel 15 is used. This mark is easily processed mechanically. After work, it is subjected to heat treatment. According to its technical characteristics, the brand 15 is inferior to the instrumental 50PA, which is used in the production of IL-54 guns and does not need heat treatment.
To perform this procedure, an iron box filled with coal was used. The gun was placed in this tank. The upper metal layers were saturated with carbon. In production, this process was called “cementation”. After the steel pads became hot, the craftsmen took them out of the iron box and dipped them into the water. An important point during the cementation was considered the exclusion of the contact of the hot product with oxygen. The hardening procedure entailed a slight deformation of the pads. After heat treatment of products, the trunks of IZH-26 hunting rifles were fitted to the finished pads.
What is a “sublot”?
One of the problematic issues that gunsmiths very often encounter is fitting the barrels to the pads. Among lovers of hunting shotguns, this procedure is also called “priplotka”. With the advent of such a model as IL-26, it became easier to perform the fit. This is due to the fact that in the design of this gun, instead of the Griner bolt, there is a striker plate, with which, according to user feedback, it is easier to work with. But the “priplotka” of guns equipped with a Greener bolt provides the double-barreled shotgun with a greater resource.
The trunks are heat treated and are connected to each other with a coupling. To do this, they are subject to pre-pressing, after which they stop in the breech with a pin. The rest of the trunks is locked using slats: upper and lower. The top bar is also used as a means for aiming. It is a product of trapezoidal shape, consisting of two parts, between which a hinged post, used for fixing the forearm on the IL-26, is installed by soldering. The rifle (photo below) is equipped with two screws, which are necessary for fastening belt belts.
For the manufacture of the bed is used walnut or beech. The bed can have a straight or pistol shape.
The trigger mechanism is mortise. For its installation in the IL-26 on the receiver and the base (person), special grooves are provided. With the help of the shank, formed as a result of the mask box attached to the bottom of the barrel, the barrel is mounted on the barrel.
What is a flame tube?
The IL-26 system has a return function. This is done with the help of a special stop, which is under pressure from the lower feather of the combat lamellar spring. The inertial head and return spring, in contrast to the Enson system, are not one. These spare parts of the IZH-26 gun are installed separately from the side of the receiver shield. Their fixation is carried out with the help of special screw-in chrome-plated plugs, or fire tubes. This design makes it possible, if necessary, to easily disassemble the IZH-26 gun. User feedback on the use of weapons is positive: when a striker breaks down, the need to completely disassemble the shotgun design has disappeared (which had to be done when repairing Enson’s guns). To replace the striker, just unscrew the necessary firebox.
These chrome products perform two functions:
- They are an ornament on the pads in double-barrels of the models IL-26 and IL-54.
- Prevent possible burnout of metal near the holes of the strikers.
How is a combat platoon and descent in a hunting shotgun?
Cocking cock is performed using special pointers located on top of the receiver. Squad and release levers are involved in this process. With the help of the first as a result of opening the trunks cocks are cocked, and then run into special sockets that are located in the hinged part of the forend. The front trigger is under the influence of the spring, which protects the fingers from injury to the second trigger during recoil. Such a device is typical for high-end guns. The standard Enson system provides for locking with an automatic fuse only hooks. Blocking triggers and levers provided for IZH-26. The characteristics of the gun contains another important quality: in the system of this model there is a smooth descent. It is carried out with fully open trunks.
To remove the trigger from the whisper, it is necessary with the help of the thumb of the right hand to pull the fuse button to the front position, and with the front finger to press the hooks of the trigger. After that, the trunks are closed. It is undesirable to carry out a similar procedure with charged ammunition, as this may entail an unexpected shot.
When is the disassembly of weapons?
If necessary, carry out repairs, cleaning or lubrication of the gun, inspection, as well as during transportation IZH-26 is divided into two parts:
- trunk and handguard;
- receiver and box.
In order to disassemble the weapon for cleaning, you must:
- Pull the handguard latch. As a result of this manipulation, the forearm will be disconnected.
- Turn the locking lever to the right. After that, the trunks are separated from the receiver.
- Turn counterclockwise the screw of the safety bracket.
- Remove the screws that secure the base of the trigger.
- Using a screwdriver, pry up the cocking springs. After that, the receiver through the easy swinging up and down to remove from the box. This gives access to all the mechanisms of the gun, which can now be lubricated and cleaned.
Further disassembly consists of the following steps:
- The platoons are removed from the receiver after their retaining screws have been removed. It is important not to lose them.
- Taking out the trigger, it is necessary to ensure that they do not fly out under the action of springs. To do this, the trigger should be removed along with limiters.
- Remove the fuse button after removing the retaining pin.
Ejector model double shotgun IZH-54
In 1969, using the base of the system IL-54, the company began the production of a new ejector-free model IZH-26 E.
This shotgun was designed as an independent weapon with an ejector mechanism. The device of the IZH-26 E rifle is the same as in the IZH-26.
How to turn off the ejector mechanism?
In the IZH-26E hunting rifle, there are frequent cases of weakening of the leaf springs of ejector hammers (hammers). To prevent this, the springs must be periodically lowered. To do this, you can use a nail or wire of the desired diameter, with which the handguard is detached. The ejector mechanism is turned off by turning the wheels. Before attaching the handguard back, it is recommended to ejector hammers. Otherwise, fastening it will be difficult or entail damage to the mechanism of the shotgun.
The hammer recovery procedure consists of two steps:
- The nail is inserted into the hole in the upper part of the trigger.
- Using a nail as a lever, you need to cock. This work should be done gradually: first, one trigger is cocked, and then the second.
A low click will indicate that the platoon has been fully completed. The trigger itself relative to the front of the forearm should be slightly inclined.
The presence of fuses and ejectors in the two barrels, both during the Soviet Union and today is not in demand among domestic consumers. Hunting rifles IL-26 E were intended primarily for export. Simultaneously with the production of this model, its new unified variant IL-26 - 1C was created. This rifle after comparative testing with similar imported weapons gave good results. Despite all the advantages of IL-26-1C, the double-barreled gun did not hit the production series. Experts explain this by the fact that the model appeared on the arms market is cheaper and easier - IL-58M. It uses a 12 gauge and has the same power as the IL-26 rifle.
According to reviews, IZH-26 hunting rifles have a reliable system, which is practically not affected by years. According to the owners, who buy double barrels for many years, the signs of their "age" are visible only from the outside. Inside the system, everything is in perfect condition: rust does not touch the choke and the semi-fin. According to users, external defects, as a rule, are caused by deficiencies in gun care.
Of course, some owners, acquiring old IL-26, sometimes notice small rusty areas inside the trigger. Despite this, the whole system works well. Owners of hunting double-barreled guns and experienced gunsmiths are advised to use special carburetor cleaners and Ballistola grease to remove rust.
According to some owners, the IL-26 hunting rifles, compared with the IL-54, have a smaller resource, which is manifested in the emergence of shat. According to other lovers of shotguns, the resource is individual for each gun. According to the adherents of this model of weapons, it is difficult to reach the system’s shit in the IZH-26, even if you use battery terminals, chopped nails or cast iron for shooting.
Today, the IL-26 rifles, like other old models made in Izhevsk, are in great demand. Although they are not a rarity, finding them is not so easy.
Hunting shotguns IL-26 and IL-26E proved their high efficiency and reliability. These guns allow you to use any type of ammunition and carry out hunting in different latitudes.