- What is it - aglet?
- You will need...
- How to sew an aglet on his jacket
- Who wears aglets?
- Interesting facts about aglet
- Aselbant in Russia
Aiguillette - one of the components of the front military uniforms. This element additionally adorns the latter, underlines to become its owner. But how to sew the aglet? Among other things in detail we will sort process in this article.
What is it - aglet?
Before we figure out how to sew an aglet on a military uniform, we’ll reveal what it is for readers who have come across such a concept for the first time.
The hero of our story - part of the solemn form of the military. These are interwoven cords that are wrapped around a golden or silver thread that is decorated with small metal tips. Such an element is attached either to the uniform or to the tunic.
The origin of the word German: achsel - "armpit", Band - "cord", "ribbon".
How to sew an aglet on the uniform is most often interesting to the cadets, the young military. Let's move on to the description of this process.
You will need…
Before you sew an aglet on the form, you need to prepare the following:
- golden (silver) bother;
- metal tips;
- actually the jacket itself.
Everything is in place? Getting started!
How to sew an aglet on his jacket
This attribute is located exactly on the right side of the military uniform. Accordingly, it is hemmed under the right shoulder strap. But there are some exceptions to this rule - in some parts the aglet is worn on the left side.
We act as follows:
- Place the edge of the first cord 5 mm from the edge of the shoulder strap (the one closest to the sleeve).
- Thus, in order to fix the aglet, you must first unplug the shoulder straps from the fabric of the tunic or uniform exactly half. Then you fasten the strap with a few stitches. Then you need to carefully sew back otporotuyu part of the shoulder strap.
- The first lace necessarily goes under the sleeve.
- How to sew the whole aglet? The rest of the cords are attached with a decorative metal tip under the lapel.
- We go further. In order to fasten the twisted cords under the lapel, a button or just a loop of threads, fabric, and lace is sewn under the last. The difficulty is that this element should not look out from under the lapel - with and without a heavy thong.
Who wears aglets?
Under the military regulations wear this attribute of military uniforms must:
- Members of the army parade processions.
- Members of a military band.
- Soldiers in the guard of honor.
Aiguillets are not traditionally Russian military uniform elements. You can see them on the uniform, jacket of officers of a large number of armies in the world.
Such practice is also known that the already demobilized servicemen decorate their uniforms with a homemade axlet in honor of any holidays. Most often it is a white decoration.
Sometimes aglets are worn and not only by military ranks. For example, theater and film actors. Also, how to sew an aglet on a jacket, people are interested in whose hobby is recreation, restoration of historical costumes, including military ones. But in this case it is best to refer to archival documents if you want to restore the uniform of that era exactly. Perhaps in a particular country, in a specific period of history, there were other rules for fixing and arranging these attributes.
As for division by rank, high-ranking officials, such as generals, are obliged to wear golden aglets. The military of a lower rank are silver elements of this type. Or the aglets, which are prescribed by a more private military charter.
Interesting facts about aglet
Here we have disassembled how to sew an aglet on his tunic. Finally, we want to introduce you to a number of interesting facts about him:
- The first aglets appeared in the XVII century in Western Europe.
- According to legend, at first this element of the form was the subject with which it measured distances on the map. But instead of decorative tips were sharpened pencils - with the help of them and recorded clarified testimony.
- As an attribute of military uniforms, the aglet appeared during the war between Spain and the Netherlands. Residents of the latter defended their independence. Death or freedom - the proud Dutchmen did not leave any choice for themselves. And the aglet was a frightening enemy symbol - the warrior showed that he would make himself a loop for hanging from these cords himself, just not to become defeated, a slave of the Spaniards. And for some information, this attribute was a piece of rope, taken from the gallows.
- But historians offer another interesting version. Aiguillets appeared as a decorative replacement for a wick hank, which the military threw on their shoulders. It was necessary for once-relevant wick muskets.
Aselbant in Russia
In our country aglets came in 1762. It was a badge of distinction of the musketry and grenadier battalion infantry troops. The officers wore an attribute with silvered, gilded threads. In 1917 it was abolished. He returned to the Soviet army in 1971. It was the decoration of the servicemen in the guard of honor, the orchestra, the ceremonial calculation of the Moscow garrison.
Today in our country there are two types of aglet:
- For officers (including marshals, admirals, generals) - yellow, with two braided ends, iron tip.
- For soldiers, sailors, sergeants, foremen - white, with one end of a wicker, yellow tip.
How to sew an aglet, you now know. Like the history of this attribute of military uniforms.