During the construction of the Nikolaev Railway, they began laying a road from St. Petersburg to Warsaw with the construction of the Warsaw Railway Station. The station building was built by the project of the architect Skarzhinsky K.A.
The Crimean War temporarily suspended all construction work. But after some 5 years, by 1857, everything was renewed. The work was already supervised by new people. In light of this, the original layout and layout of the station were changed. Architect Salmanovich P. O. turned it into a large complex. Now the building could accommodate employees, even provided rooms for living. For horse-drawn carriages built platforms. The project of the Warsaw railway station did not provide for any exquisite jewelry, but had to be simple and concise, which in the end was achieved. The station was opened (one of the facilities of the complex) in 1853.
The construction of the railway continued in 1856, trains from St. Petersburg plied to Gatchina, and from 1858 they reached Pskov. In Warsaw, trains began to depart only in 1862. A few years after that, it was already possible to get from the station to Berlin, Vienna and Brussels. Accordingly, the passenger traffic and the volume of baggage carried increased, and the station was no longer up to date, so they began to rebuild it. Appeared locomotive depot.
At the beginning of the last century a paid entrance for the mourners was made at the station platform, and it was 10 kopecks. A few years later he was abolished because of strong discontent of citizens.
Warsaw Station itself is a “witness” of many historical events. Literally two steps from the building, Minister Plehve V. K. was killed, and the Bolsheviks hid during the revolution in the building. During the military blockade times, due to the fact that the Germans came almost close to the station, it was badly damaged. At the end of hostilities, some premises of the building were rebuilt.
For many years, Warsaw Railway Station in St. Petersburg was exactly the place where passengers came from Europe.
The period of perestroika and the collapse of the USSR had a negative impact on the activities of the station, it practically ceased to accept trains. After all, passenger traffic towards the Baltic countries has practically disappeared. The remaining routes, both suburban and long-distance, were transferred to other stations, and the building itself was planned to be destroyed for some time.
After many years of oblivion, in 2006, a museum of railway equipment opens in the depot building and on the rails of the old station. Locomotives and cars created in different periods, and even a rocket launcher - one of the first high-speed cars in Russia, set out for everyone to see.
The museum at the Warsaw station in November 2017 received a new building and is now located on Bibliotechny Lane, 4. The nearest metro station is “Baltic”.
From 2003 to 2006 the building was completely renovated. The project involved Giovanni Bartoli. Upon completion of the work, Warsaw Railway Station turned into a shopping and entertainment center called the Warsaw Express. Now it is 32 thousand square meters, with shops and entertainment establishments, including a casino and a cinema.
In the process of reconstruction, a monument to Lenin VI was removed from the square in front of the building.
Church of the Resurrection of Christ
When it comes to the Obvodnoy Canal, I remember not only Warsaw Station, but also the temple. This is an Orthodox church, part of the Admiralty Deanery District.
Initially, the church was built wooden, back in 1894. Two years later, near it, a building was erected in 3 floors and a reading room and a school were opened in it.
With the arrival of the priest Alexander Rozhdestvensky, the sobriety society opens at the church (1898). Surprisingly, the Society is becoming very popular, and by 1904 several branches were already open throughout the country. In the year of the establishment of the Society begins the collection of funds for the construction of a stone church.
Already in 1904, the first stone of the new Church of the Resurrection of Christ was laid at the Warsaw Railway Station. A great contribution to the collection of money is made by patron Dmitry Parfenov, well known in those days, for whom, one might say. construction becomes a matter of his life. Despite the troubled times, the war, the project can be completed as scheduled, that is, one year after construction began.
The parish is designed for 4 thousand people. In 1086, in honor of Father Alexander, the founder of the society, who died a year earlier, the 100-pood bell was installed.
By 1914, the facade is completely finished. Internal work is still ongoing, oil painting makes Perminov V. T., the artist.
Like most temples, in the 30th year of the last century, the temple closes, instead of services, employees of the tram depot work here.
Believers were returned to their shrines only in 1989, worship services begin only in 1990. Restoration work is gradually being carried out; in 2008 a new cross was installed on the main dome. And to the 400th anniversary of the house of the Romanovs, on the west side of the church a monument to Nicholas II is being erected (2013). Now it is not only a holy place, but also an architectural monument of the city, which tourists come to see.