- Main characteristics
- The first stage of work: studying the topic
- The second stage of work: systematization of the material obtained
- The third stage of work: determine the structure
- Types of analytical article
- Writing style
- Text size
- Useful tips
An analytical article is a text that contains an analysis of the facts and conclusions regarding a particular topic. You could even say that this is a small study. If an informational article gives a general understanding of an event, things, then the analytic reveals those facts that were not previously known, makes a deeper analysis.
A quality article of a publicistic genre will be considered if it meets the following characteristics.
- The topic described is relevant at a certain point.
- Properly formulated thesis and clearly raised the question, which is considered in the article.
- The material necessary for the disclosure of the topic is chosen very thoroughly.
- The analysis of the material is deep, logically perfect, competent.
- Submission of the material is consistent, subtitles are highlighted.
- Lack of unreasonable repetitions.
- The presence of logical conclusions.
- Lack of stylistic, grammatical and logical errors.
- Achieving the goal - the article gives the answer to the question.
- Presence in the analysis of a fresh way of thinking.
- The form of presentation is chosen correctly, it is readable for the target audience.
The first stage of work: studying the topic
In order to get an interesting and useful analytical article, the analysis of the material must be carried out very carefully. The most important thing is that you yourself understand the topic and can pass it on to your target audience. It is necessary to find as many sources of information as possible, to approach the solution of the problem from different sides. This approach will give the material more depth and will cause interest.
If you have started writing a serious text of a journalistic genre, this stage may take you several days. If you feel that you are filled with interest in the material and non-standard ideas on the issue overwhelm your head, then you can proceed to the next stage.
The second stage of work: systematization of the material obtained
So, you have a huge amount of information, but it’s still very early to start writing a paper. All that is now needs to be clearly structured. Re-read all the received information once again, arrange everything according to the importance level. Each piece of material has its own value and place in the overall structure.
The informational and analytical article should open well the topic; the text should smoothly flow from one subtitle to another. In the opposite case, it will turn out just porridge, which will be very difficult for the target audience to master.
The third stage of work: determine the structure
When all the available information is systematized, you can begin to determine the structure of the future article. It depends on many factors. Including the amount of evidence of the thesis, the topic itself and much more. To make it clear what an analytical article should look like, an example of the “skeleton” of its structure is presented below.
The approximate structure of the text:
- A prologue in which you should explain why your topic is relevant today. In addition, it is here that it is important to formulate the question considered in your article.
- Main part. In this chapter all analytical material should be collected. Several points of view on the subject should be considered, your personal opinion expressed.
- The final part should be both informative and concise. To achieve this is not so easy. But, the most important thing is to convey all the conclusions made on the topic in this chapter. It is also necessary to evaluate the result of your research and tell you what was achieved, whether you managed to solve the topic.
After the structure is composed, it is already possible to start writing the text itself. Clearly follow the plan - then the work will be easily perceived by the target audience. It is possible that in the process of writing you may have some more interesting ideas. This is not a bad thing - you can supplement your work with them.
Types of analytical article
This type of journalistic genre can be divided into several main categories.
- General research article;
This group includes all publications in the text of which an analysis of broad generally significant questions is carried out. For example, here you can talk about morality and economics, about church and state, about international relations. Analytical articles on politics also fall into this category. This type of publication is distinguished by the global thinking of the author. The main goal of the work is not just to open the topic, but to study the patterns, prospects and trends in the development of society.
- Practical-analytical article;
This includes the disclosure of the issue of industry problems. It could be anything: culture, science, agriculture, business and finance. In such articles, attention is paid to the analysis of a specific event, a situation in a particular field of activity. The main task of the author when writing a text of this type is to identify the causes of the problem, to evaluate effective solutions using the example of practical problems.
- Polemical article;
Published in the event that in a society there is a dispute over a particular problem. The reason for writing may be, for example, the performance of political opponents. The purpose of the work is twofold. The author expresses his own opinion on the issue under consideration and proposes the most effective in his opinion solutions. The facts presented in the work may concern only the point of view of the author himself. He cannot allow himself to give an example that would contradict the thesis put forward.
Analytical articles are made quite simple, if you decide on the style of writing. For example, if you have to write a work that will later be published in a popular science journal, then an easy syllable will do. Most importantly, rely on your target audience.
Newspapers and magazines just scream that they need bright, interesting headlines. Using highly specialized terms is possible, but be sure to decipher later what you meant. Otherwise, the reader will simply put your work aside and find another article more understandable to him.
If analytical articles do for a scientific journal, then this is more serious work. Such texts are read only by experts in their field. If you do not understand the subject, then do not even take up such work. The text should be written correctly, contain terms of specialization and useful information. As for the title for this type of text, then there should not be any “screaming” here. A person who takes a scientific journal in his hands wants facts. Therefore, the title should clearly reflect the essence of the article, and the text should disclose the problem.
Another important question is what analytical article should be in its scope. There are no special recommendations on this. First write a paper and do not count words and letters. Make a detailed, interesting text.
Then the author needs to stand in the place of the reader. Set a question - would you read your article to the end? The text can be long, but exciting. In that case, if you notice in the work some fragments from which interest is weakened, then you need to replace them, or remove them altogether.
The volume of the written text, in fact, is not as important as the information it carries. Design your work with subtitles and lists so that information is easier for the reader to understand.
And do not forget about your own opinion - publicistic genre implies arguments and reflections on the subject matter.
- If you decide to take for writing an article of a journalistic genre, then take only the topic in which you understand, on which you have something to say. Personal opinion of the author - an obligatory part of the text.
- Make text structured and enjoyable to read. Work must attract attention visually. For this subheadings, lists are used.
- Depending on where the article will be published, work with the title. For the target audience of a scientific journal - only facts, for newspapers - intrigue.
- It is desirable that the article was accompanied by thematic illustrations. So a person will be much more pleasant to read it.
- Before you publish a work, review it yourself several times, determine if it is interesting for you. Redo bad fragments, if any.
- Use in your work as much as possible facts from different sources on the chosen topic. The more information you take into account when writing, the more interesting the article will turn out.
Analytical article will be given to you easily for writing, if you pick up topics that are close to you. And do not forget about the main rule - the chosen topic should be relevant, only then it will cause interest among the target audience.