- Architecture and Interior
- Soviet period
- Vladimir Cathedral today
- Opening hours and temple address
The Cathedral of the Vladimir Mother of God is located in the very center of the city of Kronstadt and is considered to be its true gem. The city has been open to the public only since 1996, and until that time it was not possible to see the Vladimir Church for pilgrims.
The first building of the Vladimir Cathedral in Kronstadt was built in 1730 and was a small wooden church dedicated to the religious needs of the garrison regiment.
Over the next 45 years, the temple was rebuilt several times due to dilapidation, and also restored after fires.
The last stone building (now existing) was laid in 1875. It was built by the project of architect H. Greifan. Construction was completed by 1879, but finishing work continued until 1882. Later furnaces and fans were installed.
In 1888, in honor of the icon of the Mother of God, “Quench my grief”, the chapel was consecrated in the lower tier. It was a basement room, in which, until 1896, garrison servicemen from the lower ranks were funeral services.
In 1902, the temple was given the status of a cathedral.
Architecture and Interior
The building is a five-tier basilica in a mixed style, installed on a high granite basement. The Byzantine style harmoniously intertwines with the Russian elements of the architecture of the XVII century.
The bell tower with a height of 50 meters is set in the traditional style - “octagon on a quadrangle” and covered with an octahedral tent with a bulbous cupola. Gilded crosses are installed on the domes. At the entrance is a high staircase with a portico of granite.
During the construction of the wall were painted gray (today blue). The original decoration was inside the cathedral. The floor was made of mosaic, cherry walls and the ceiling are decorated with Byzantine ornaments.
The internal layout completely copies the basilica of churches of the 5th-6th centuries. For a more complete resemblance to the Byzantine style, the ceiling was made with the help of special decorated recesses - caissons.
The carved iconostasis is made of dark walnut, and the royal gates are made of cypress wood. The pulpit is enclosed by a light marble balustrade. The carved doors leading to the altar are made of walnut.
This 50-meter-high church became the dominant structure of that time in Kronstadt. Its domes were visible from all points of the city and served as a guide for ships.
After the revolution, the cathedral became a parish church. In 1922, all valuables were removed from the church, and in 1931 it was closed and used as a grocery store. Crosses were removed, and the bell tower was dismantled.
Church icon of the Vladimir Mother of God has disappeared, and until today its fate is not known.
After the war, the building of the church of the Vladimir Cathedral in Kronstadt was in a deplorable state. His authorities were not going to repair it. It was decided to demolish the cathedral, but when trying to blow up the building, the threat of destruction of neighboring houses hung, and the cathedral was left in a dilapidated state.
The building itself stood, but the bell tower, the porch and the altar were destroyed. Over the following years, the authorities considered the possibility of refitting the destroyed building either into a pool or into a stable. But for unknown reasons, this did not happen.
So he stood before the adjustment, slowly collapsing completely. In 1990, the building was returned to the Orthodox Church and work began on the restoration of the temple. By 1999, the repair of the lower building was completed, and services were resumed there.
Restoration work continued until 2006. The brickwork was repaired, the foundation was restored, the facade was plastered, the ornaments were recreated inside the building, and the sculptures were restored. On the domes of the cathedral the gold of the domes again shone.
Vladimir Cathedral today
Today, the cathedral of the Vladimir Icon of the Mother of God in Kronstadt returned to its original appearance. It is an active temple, and services are held there daily.
Since 1993, the church has a Sunday school, in which there are 4 groups for children from 5 to 16 years. Every Sunday in the church classes are also held for adults, where lectures are listened to and films on Orthodox themes are watched.
The Kronstadt Cathedral of the Vladimir Mother of God is the center of pilgrimage for those who are not indifferent to the Orthodox Church. The temple also organizes trips to the holy places of Russia and abroad.
Opening hours and temple address
The schedule of services in Kronstadt Vladimirsky Cathedral is as follows:
- 9:00 - confession.
- 10:00 - morning liturgy.
- 16:00 - public conversation.
- 18:00 - evening worship.
- 13:00 - Baptism (Saturday and Sunday only).
- 17:00 - all-night vigil (on Saturdays).
The Vladimir Cathedral in Kronstadt is open to the public daily from 9:00 to 20:00.
Every day from 12:00 to 18:00 hours memorial services and baptisms are performed. Before the sacrament of baptism, on the eve, you need to pass an interview with the priest.
The Vladimirsky Cathedral is located in Kronstadt at the address: ul. Vladimirskaya, house 32.
The current phone number of the temple can be found on the official website of the Vladimir Cathedral.